10 October 2010

Safety Tips for Runners


As much as I enjoy going out to run, I always follow a set of guidelines or rules to make sure I have a successful run. As ridiculous as it seems, taking the necessary steps can make for a good run and you will not have to worry about getting injured or becoming a victim.

1. Do a self-inspection. Are you shoes tied? Does someone else know where you are going? Do you know the specific path that you are taking? These little things can help prevent a world of chaos just in case you do not make your estimated time of arrival back home.

2. Limit distractions while you are on your run. It might be very difficult to leave the MP3 Player at home while you are going out for your exercise, allows us to use our sense of hearing to the full advantage. Being able to hear a car or cyclist approaching or any other type of threat that might lead to a disaster.

3. Always make sure you are visible whether it is the morning, afternoon, night or dusk. Wearing white or bright colored clothing will suffice, but I always add a reflective belt when I head out for a run. Having too much reflective gear on is better than too little and will safe guard from being struck by a moving vehicle.

http://www.militarygifts.biz/Dog-Tags.html
4. Always have identification on you. In the event of the worst probable scenario, having identification can assist with getting medical attention if you become injured. Many of you might wonder how can I carry my identification on me while I am running? Simple. Put your identification in your sock while your running, it maybe a little uncomfortable, but you have it on you. I typically where my dog tags (being a military) either around my neck or lace a tag through my sneakers.

5. Always be alert for other cyclist or runners. Communication is necessary and it keeps you or others out of harms way. Whether you are on a trail or bike path, you might be put in a situation where you might have to pass someone or they might be passing you. Always give waning or be ready to receive a warning that you are passing and as to which side you will be passing on.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_momsatwork/2009/10/distracted-drivers-part-ii.html
6. Do not always make assumptions about drivers. Many drivers today are easily distracted while behind the wheel or a moving two-ton machine. From changing the radio station, talking or texting on a cell phone, eating or drinking that morning coffee, many drivers do not have their eyes “glued” to the right spot, which should be the road in front of them. Make sure to run against traffic, that way you can see what is in front of you and will not have to worry about getting hit by a car from behind.

http://fotosa.ru/ru/stock/search.asp?ID=2533032&anchor=17
7. Do not run alone during hours of darkness (early morning or night). So may think this tip is over  exaggerated, but there are people out there who stalk individuals on bike paths or trails. If you insist on running during hours of darkness see if you can talk a friend into going out with you. The more people out running together the less likely an assailant will try and attack you. If you cannot get anyone to go with you, try your best to stay in a well lit area. I know most public trails do not have light poles (at least does not have them), so try going for a run through a couple local neighborhood where you know there will be ample lighting being provided from these poles.





1 comment:

  1. I agree with your Safety tips. I think i did some of those things when I ran except I did not do 3 and 4. I did not know in the dark, people might attack you.

    ReplyDelete